Us Johannesburg’s love our markets, we get to breath some fresh air, get out with our friends and fill our tummies with yummy treats until our wallets break. Today I thought I will give you a quick guide to the best Jozi has to offer when it comes to food markets.
The Market on Mainfoodn market (Jeppestown) still remains one of the best food markets Jozi has to offer. With a wide variety of food selection and interesting arts and crafts stalls, you will have more than enough to occupy your Sunday Mornings.
What I especially love about this market is that the market isn’t the only aspect to it. Returning to suburbia to early is out of the question. Because once you have had your delicious treat and did your sightseeing you can always go watch a movie at Bioscope or watch the sunset at the Living Room. The gist is that the Market on Main is more than the market for it includes the entire Maboneng and what it has to offer.
O by the way the market not only happens every Sunday, but also the first Thursday night of every month, from 18:00 – 21:00. The night market usually have some live music happening as well.
P.S. This is a pet friendly market too, please just clean up after your pets:)
- Web: www.mabonengprecinct.com
- Where: Maboneng Precinct
- When: Sundays from 10:00-15:00
Another amazing market is the Neighbourgoods Market in Braamfontein. Spend your Saturdays feeling young amongst the Jozi student vibe and filling your tummy with yummies. This market is great if you feel like having a really good time with your mates, because filling your tummies at the market is a must but having a jol after at Kitcheners or Great Dane is a party.
I must mention that this is mainly a food market and has very little to offer for art and craft stalls. It a place where students love to hang out, but mom and dad are more than welcome too.
- Web: www.neighbourgoodsmarket.co.za/johannesburg
- Where: 73 Juta Street, Braamfontein
- When: Saturdays from 09:00-15:00
The Bryanston Organic Market might not be the most trendy market to Johannesburg, but it is one of the ‘must’ markets. The market is home to a wide variety of stalls, from food to all sorts of art and crafts. You will find handmade pottery and jewelry to duck feather pillows. Its not a typical market, but rather a market that places its’ emphasis on being environmentally friendly. Every item is locally produces and environmentally made.
With red roof stalls and paved walkways you will find something to your liking, be it a handmade item of the delicious organic foods. The Bryanston Market is a great place for a light stroll every Thursday and Saturday morning.
P.S. If you have nothing planned for November or December yet, then I suggest you go visit their Moonlit Market. Its truly a must, sadly its only held in November and December, worth the wait though.
- Web: www.bryanstonorganicmarket.co.za
- Where: 40 Culross Rd Bryanston
- When: Thursday and Saturday from 09:00-15:00 (Also Public Holidays)
This is the market for parents and the kids, as well as our beloved animals. Bring the entire family and enjoy a Saturday breakfast at the Jozi Food market in Greenside. You will find high quality organic foods, some art and crafts and live music, just to keep the party going.
I must mention that this market does make special plans for the youngh onece and our four legged friends.
- Web: www.jozifoodmarket.co.za
- Where: Pirates Sports Club, Braeside Road, Greenside, Johannesburg
- When: Saturday from 08:30-13:30
Wanting to get in touch with nature as a city folk, well this is the market for you. One of the prettiest outdoor markets in Johannesburg. The Fourways Market will keep you close to home but take you far from the same old suburban Shopping Mall Sunday.
Spaces for sitting, running, and having a picnic. Perfect for the family, letting the kids run wild and allowing you to have a relaxed Sunday in the sun.
- Web: www.ffmarket.co.za
- Where: Earth Outdoor Living Nursery on the corner of William Nicol Drive and Monte Casino Boulevard, Fourways, Johannesburg
- When: Sunday from 10:00 to 15:00.
This market was such a surprise to me, firstly being a rooftop market on the Bamboo Lifestyle centre and secondly the quality of organic food produce. Such a delight to have visited this market.
- Web: www.bamboo-online.co.za
- Where: 53 Rustenburg Road, Melville
- When: Saterday from, 19:00-13:00
I do suggest you and your mates go try them all. Each and every market is a bit different and some will be great and others will be just ok. But what are weekends for if not to discover your city, Jozi.
Related articles you students might like:)
Getting the grades you want:
- Finding your correct Study Space
- Where to buy your Textbooks
- Study groups, the key to your university success
- Your Library study binge prep list
- Catching up for the exams
- 10 Counter Actions to test Anxiety
- 5 Memory Association techniques for students
- Stop your Procrastination
Finding your new nest:
- The dorm room Checklist
- Moving Company VS a DIY move
- Your Essential University Checklist
- The freshers week survival guide
- 13 Questions to ask your prospective landlord
- Happy commune living in 5 steps
- 5 Transition tips from High school to collage
- 10 Great Student Apps
- 3 Student Part-Time Jobs
- 10 Part-time Jobs
- Your own varsity Bucket list
- 10 Freshers Tips, for adapting to Student Life.
- Save on your energy bill, this winter
- 10 Fun and Cheap student activities
- Top 5 Music Festivals around Jozi