We just want to have some fun…but what can we do after completing our budget only to realise there is no money for fun. Well fear not my friends, today I want to share 10 fun & cheap student activities we all can afford.
1. Throw a bring it yourself party
We South Africans love our “bring and braais”, why not have one of those, by switching it with your own toppings for a pizza or burger night. These parties tends to be great fun and super cheap, no more than your normal dinner would have cost you.
2. Game nights are a must
You can decide what kind of gamer you and your friends are, console or boardgames. The point is there are tons of games that all your friends will love. I love both game night the digital and the old school.
If you plan a digital game night and you have a couple of friends not too familiar with consoles, why not start them off with a couple of couch co-op games. They are perfect ice breakers and party games. Short, fun and co-ops, they are a must.
- Cobolt – Xbox
- Tower Fall Essential – Playstation & PC
- The Yawhg – PC
- Hell Divers – Playstation & PC
- Diablo 3 – Across all 3 platforms
I have played all of these games, and they are all super fun for boys and girls.
If you are planning a board game night then I suggest you start with what is called German Style boardgames. Meaning pack away the Monopoly, and start playing boardgames with actual planning and strategy involved, not just luck. If you are unfamiliar then go watch a few Table-Top videos, they will give you fast indication how the games work and if they’re worth the investment.
Carcassonne – Has many expansion options to grow the game
Small World – Has many expansion options to grow the game
Munchkin – Has many expansion options to grow the game. This game comes in a boardgame and card versions.
Zombie Dice – A really quick game you can play anywhere
Love Letter – A really quick game you can play anywhere
Some of these games has evolved into an app version as well. Have a look maybe before buying the expensive physical board games.
3. Go have some fun in the sun
Go have a real childhood fun day with your friend by visiting:
- Gold Reef City
- Go Karting
- Ten-Pin Bowling
- Rock Climbing
- Camping weekend
4. Movie marathon weekend
How I miss these, they were super fun by simply being your lazy self and filling up on chips.
Try these Marathons
- Back to the Future
- Lord Of the Rings
- Star Wars
- Star Trek
- Austin Powers
- Harry Potter
- Pixar Movies
- James Bond
- Mission Impossible
- Die Hard
5. Have a fitness morning
This may not seem like so much fun, but having some sporting activity the morning before your big bring and braai / movie marathon day will make you feel all that much better consuming those chips like a gluten.
There are many fun and free/cheap sporting activities in your city.
- Park runs
- Mountain Bike ride
- Rock Climbing
- Hiking trail
- Yoga and the park
- Ice Skating
Read our Festive Day Trips, we have other options here
6. Lazy weekend
Spend your weekend and go visit all those food markets or concert venues you never got to. Google gives us so many options just around your hood, have a search.
- Market on Main: Maboneng | Sundays
- Neighbourgoods Market: Braamfontein | Saturdays
- Bryanston Organic Market: Bryanston | Saturday
- Fourways Farmer’s Market: Fourways | Sundays
- Parks Acoustics: Once a month | Pretoria
- Labia Theatre: Cape Town
- Woodstock Market: Cape Town
- Bay Harbour Market: Cape Town
Read our Festive Day Trips, we have other options
Read our Top 5 Music Festivals, we have other options
Read Jozi’s Top Markets, we have other options
7. Host a stranger-danger Party
Be the host to your very own stranger-danger party by inviting all your friends and making them bring a stranger to the party. A person your group of friend wouln’t necessarily hang out on their own. This way you have some fun, allow a stranger to have some fun and maybe just make a few more strange friends.
8. Karaoke and Dance-off Night
Theses are always fun, whether you can sing or dance. Just add a shot for confidence:)
9. Schedule a Guitar Hero tournament.
Nothing more is need to be said, play to the top.
10. Be silly
Collage is only a few years long, it is your responsibility that you try and have as much fun in the sun as you can. Just remember to hit the books from time to time as well.
Related articles you students might like:)
Getting the grades you want:
- Finding your correct Study Space
- Where to buy your Textbooks
- Study groups, the key to your university success
- Your Library study binge prep list
- Catching up for the exams
- 10 Counter Actions to test Anxiety
- 5 Memory Association techniques for students
- Stop your Procrastination
Finding your new nest:
- The dorm room Checklist
- Moving Company VS a DIY move
- Your Essential University Checklist
- The freshers week survival guide
- 13 Questions to ask your prospective landlord
- Happy commune living in 5 steps
- 5 Transition tips from High school to collage
- 10 Great Student Apps
- 3 Student Part-Time Jobs
- 10 Part-time Jobs
- Your own varsity Bucket list
- 10 Freshers Tips, for adapting to Student Life.
- Save on your energy bill, this winter
- 10 Fun and Cheap student activities
- Top 5 Music Festivals around Jozi